Closet Organization Overhaul

When we built our master bedroom we knew there would be one thing that wasn’t very “master” about it—the closet. Before we even started building we knew we would have to run the stove pipe through the corner of our closet and then box it in to protect against the heat and to finish the space. While the other bedrooms have full closets, this one needed to be designed to utilize all the space most efficiently. It also meant cutting down my wardrobe and being honest about what I actually wear. Truthfully it was cathartic. Since we keep our shoes here, I don’t have to worry about closet space for them.

Once the bedroom was done and we moved into it, we knew some of the finish work was going to wait until winter – and that meant a closet system. Until then we moved the wire rack we had been previously using up into the closet, and threw a basket on the floor next to it. It was…uh…well, it worked for the time being.

DSC_7874-01Weeks ago we decided it was time to start building a closet system. Last weekend after all of the holiday hubbub Andy took my plans, changed them around slightly to make things flow better, and built an awesome free standing system that incorporated everything we needed. When it came to building storage for our closet I knew I had to have at least three types of areas:

  1. Two hanging rods for Andy’s shirts, and my suits, button downs, professional shirts, etc.
  2. A smaller but longer hanging area for my dresses so they aren’t wrinkled
  3. Cubbies for my trousers and sweaters, with space on top for sweatpants/shirts

Andy did not disappoint, then again, he has never built something that did. Using Poplar sawed from his grandfathers lot in Ohio, he ran it all through the jointer, the planer and then the table saw to prep all the pieces. He built the system using a series of dado’s, glue and screws.

DSC_8001 DSC_8002 DSC_8008 DSC_8009DSC_8024 DSC_8032 DSC_8040This is where things got a bit hairy for me. This is one solid piece, just as it looks. We had to get it up the basement stairs and around a corner into the main house, and then up the new stairs and into the bedroom. It was heavy, and I’m awkward so it wasn’t the easiest thing for me to help with but a woman’s got to do what a woman’s got to do.

DSC_8044 DSC_8048 DSC_8052It was a feat getting it up the stairs, but also into the closet. In order to get it in we had to remove the wood around the wood stove pipe and very carefully tilt it in and then up, and then replace all the wood around the pipe. In the end it all slid in without having to rebuild anything. Even though it’s free standing, it literally cannot fall out of the closet. It can tilt forward until it hits the header, but it can’t actually come out. That said, we’ll still be securing it with screws we just haven’t done it yet.

DSC_8054 Andy then measured where all the rod holders had to go, screwed them in place, and then cut the wooden rods to fit and installed them.

DSC_8060 DSC_8067On the top we have a larger space and a spot to hang my dresses, and on the bottom we have a larger space and I ended up with a spot to hang my skirts too! The skirt rod ended up being a last minute addition that ended up working perfectly and I love it.

DSC_8069 DSC_8068We’ve had this system in place for almost a week and  it is already way better than the previous wire shelf which has been relegated to a plant stand. I haven’t been able to get a great photo of it filled out yet, but here’s the one I snapped the other day on Instagram. You can see here that Andy has also put a few hooks up so our robes no longer get tossed over the end of the bed.

31ba8c5478c111e381dd1273149d0f6d_8Let’s just look at that before and after again.

Before:

DSC_7874-01After:

31ba8c5478c111e381dd1273149d0f6d_8Junky iPhone photo and everything, and it still looks way better! Here’s to the small things being finished up.

xo,
Heather

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *