Sometimes when you live in Maine, things happen to your mailbox. Snow happens to your mailbox. Rust happens to your mailbox. A snowplow happens to your mailbox. When your mailbox was already mediocre to start with, after 6 winters it can end up looking rough, as an understatement. A few of the storms this year added a little blush to the prom queen we had hanging up, by way of a snowplow. She’s a beauty (*dripping with sarcasm*).
Anyone who lives in a cold snowy climate on a normal road knows it’s inevitable a plow is at some point during the season going to either plow snow all up against your mailbox and/or smash into it. This is why our mailbox hangs off a post versus is stationary on the top of one. From the get go our mailbox wasn’t the bell of the ball, and time didn’t do any favors. Last fall Andy and I decided we needed to replace it. We had debated on doing a completely different post system until the front quite literally was ripped off, leaving frequent damp or wet mail behind.
Given the snowy conditions and frozen ground we knew we had to stick with our current post. Our new post design we originally planned on was going to include a similar hanging system, so switching the mailbox over in the future (if we decide to not refinish our current post) won’t be a big deal if we ever do go that route. For this route though we decided to stick with what worked before and utilize the old chain. (It might seem like a system that didn’t work, but it actually is the best system for our situation.)
First, we went to our used bolt/fastner collection in the garage and picked out two pieces along with a nuts for the top and locking nuts for the inside which fit the bill. Once we figured out where we wanted the two pieces of hardware and marked them off with a sharpie, Andy drilled holes. The hardware we chose each had two insertion points, so we put one piece of hardware evenly on the top front and top back.
We knew drilling the holes and putting everything together would still mean water could leak down, so the next part was putting a clear epoxy on, putting in the hardware, and making sure the epoxy was around it solidly. I should note the mistake below: I put the back hardware on and got it almost all the way screwed down before I realized I hadn’t slipped the chain onto the hardware. Thankfully the epoxy has a set time so I was able to unscrew everything and then slip the chain back on.